Register and attend Year 12 Earth & Environmental Science Programming & Resources to best prepare for the new Year 12 Earth and Environmental Science Syllabus through this hands-on registered PD workshop. Please choose from the following options:
- TBC for 2019: Central Coast, others by EOI
This course enables Stage 6 EES teachers better understand the Year 12 syllabus and select relevant teaching resources. EES is under-served by textbook publishers and the subject lends itself to a local focus which is difficult to provide in a state wide text.
In the introductory session, participants reflect on methods of assessment and teaching in Year 11, including depth studies and field work. All are encouraged to bring in an assessment task to share and discuss.
Next, participants work in small groups to look broadly at modules of the Year 12 syllabus, identifying familiar and new content, as well as the areas that build upon knowledge from Year 11. The group will summarise and discuss, identifying areas of greatest need for resources.
During the remainder of the course, participants will unpack the new content from the syllabus, exploring freely available resources and options for teaching activities. Teachers will develop a range of strategies to cater for students of different abilities and to effectively use resources at school and in their local area. Opportunities for mandated field work on campus, in the community and on excursions will be explored. Participants will finish by choosing resources and planning a lesson sequence for one Inquiry Question in the Year 12 course.
The course will help teachers develop a professional network and gain constructive feedback from colleagues to improve their EES knowledge and practice. A list of helpful resources and activities for each module will provide a starting point for selecting materials appropriate to the individual context of participants.
Australian Professional Teaching Standards
This course addresses the following National Professional Standards for Teachers:
- 1.5.2 Develop teaching activities that incorporate differentiated strategies to meet the specific learning needs of students across the full range of abilities.
- 2.1.2 Apply knowledge of the content and teaching strategies of the teaching area to develop engaging teaching activities.
- 3.2.2 Plan and implement well-structured learning and teaching programs or lesson sequences that engage students and promote learning.
- 6.3.2 Contribute to collegial discussions and apply constructive feedback from colleagues to improve professional knowledge and practice.