Register now for Year 12 Theory for the New Biology Syllabus, a 1-day, hands-on, NESA endorsed workshop to best prepare for the theory in the new Year 12 Biology syllabus. Please choose from the following options:
- New England (Y12 Theory & Experiments) – 1 & 2 November (Week 3, Term 4)
- Lake Macquarie (Y12 Theory & Experiments) – 15 & 16 November (Week 5, Term 4)
- Kirribilli (Y12 Theory & Experiments) – 22 & 23 November (Week 6, Term 4)
- Shire (Y12 Theory & Experiments)– 6 & 7 December (Week 8, Term 4)
- TBC for 2019: Y12 Riverina, Illawarra, Port Macquarie, Y11 Sydney (others by EOI)
This course is aimed at helping Stage 6 Biology teachers learn the theory in the new Year 12 Biology syllabus and provide effective teaching strategies and resources that focus on the four main areas of the Year 12 course. We will be examining:
- Genetic Change,
- Infectious Disease and Non-infectious Disease,
We will be examining various methods of science pedagogy to facilitate student acquisition of knowledge and experimental skills. The new syllabus will be examined further, paying particular attention to learning opportunities in the Depth Studies. There will also be an exploration of activities to further enhance 7-10 Science.
This course is best done in conjunction with Year 12 Experiments for the New Biology Syllabus.
Australian Professional Teaching Standards
This course addresses the following National Professional Standards for Teachers:
- 1.2.2 Structure teaching programs using research and collegial advice about how students learn.
- 2.2.2 Organise content into coherent, well-sequenced learning and teaching programs.
- 3.4.2 Select and/or create and use a range of resources, including ICT, to engage students in their learning.
- 7.4.2 Participate in professional and community networks and forums to broaden knowledge and improve practice.
CrookED Science, under the umbrella endorsement* of the accredited provider, Science Teachers’ Association of NSW (STANSW) and through The NSW Education Standards Authority (NESA) of Institute Registered professional development, provides high-quality PD for the maintenance of accreditation at Proficient Teacher level.
Scope of Endorsement*
All Standards of the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers at the level of Proficient Teacher
Completing CrookED Science events will contribute 5 hours of QTC Registered PD per day, addressing 4 standards per day from the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers towards maintaining Proficient Teacher Accreditation in NSW.
Professional development hours are accredited by Science Teachers’ Association of NSW Inc www.stansw.asn.au